Saturday, August 2, 2008

Pretty Cool Day!


Flapping Loon
Originally uploaded by Mully410

I think I had the coolest visit to the TCAAP Wildlife Viewing Area tonight. This picture is of a Loon that flexed his wings for me (it was likely a "he" because the little loon was hanging with the other adult off to the left of this one.out of frame). I zoomed in pretty far with the editing. The original shot has 2 adult trumpeter swans with their 5 cygnets.

The coolest part of today's visit was the otters. At least I think they were otters. I watched 3 of them swimming and diving for about 40 minutes. They were pretty far away for my binoculars but it sure looked like they would dive down then come up on their backs and reach their hands up to their faces. They were shiny black or brown. They weren't beavers... too small and wrong habitat. They weren't muskrats either...too long and muskrats don't dive like they did. I'm going to do some research but I'm almost certain they were otters. (maybe Mink?) (8-7-08 Update: I spoke to our city forester/environmental officer today. He said he picked up a dead river otter near Marsden Lake a couple years ago. That's enough confirmation for me.)

I tried to get some pics of them but none turned out. I need a gigantic expensive lens for that, I guess.

At one point, I had the 3 otters, 7 swans and 2 deer in my field of view. Just off to the left a little bit were an adult loon, little loon and 2 osprey. More of my great pictures here.

1 comment:

  1. Well...here you go for more info on Minnesota Otters. http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/snapshots/mammals/riverotter.html

    ReplyDelete

Be critical. Be nice.

Click Here for All Your Favorite Bookmarks and Shares!!

Bookmark and Share