Thursday, January 15, 2009

More proof that people are math stupid...

I came across this article today. I figured I'd check it out because I didn't know exactly how the wind chill factor is calculated. It is calculated, by the way. It's not measured. It's not a temperature. It's a calculation to estimate how cold, cold feels to a person.

Good Question: How Do They Figure Out Wind Chill?

The formula is laughably complex. In this equation, T stands for temperature in Fahrenheit, and V stands for the velocity of the wind.
Wind Chill = 35.74 + 0.6215T - 35.75(V0.16) + 0.4275T(V0.16)

"Laughably complex"? Give me a break. There are only 2 variables in this equation: Temperature and Velocity. There is some simple addition, subtraction and multiplication. Anyone who's taken even the most rudimentary course in Algebra should be able to do this. I don't think kids should be able to graduate high school, if they can't solve this formula without a calculator. Perhaps the reporter was befuddled by all the decimal points.

If you want some really complicated math try Integral Calculus. I wouldn't call it laughable, but it's significantly more complicated. If every understood math a little better, I think it might be slightly more difficult for politicians to pass trillion dollar budgets. (by the way, a trillion is a MILLION MILLION)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be critical. Be nice.

Click Here for All Your Favorite Bookmarks and Shares!!

Bookmark and Share