Sunday, March 8, 2009

Penn Says - What I Think

Lately, I've been feeling more and more uncomfortable when I'm in situations with religious people. I suppose that is mostly due to me "coming out" as an atheist last year. I don't like it when people assume everyone is a believer in their god. "What are you giving up for Lent?" "Merry Christmas." "Happy Easter." "Thank God...(whatever did or did not happen)." My favoritest comment to loath: "Oh My God!"

Fortunately, I don't run into this very often but it especially annoys me when it's assumed that "Jesus Christ is my savior." Praying to Jesus or openly praising Jesus while in a group of people shows a great disrespect and arrogance to those non-believers in that group. I'm not just talking about atheists. There are about 4 or 5 billion people on this planet that don't believe Jesus "died for our sins and was raised from the dead." So, by assuming the crowd of people you are addressing (outside of your church) are Jesus worshipers is just plan ignorant.

One of my favorite skeptics and atheists, Penn Jillette, shares a great example in this video of how he felt recently. (he doesn't even use any profanity in this episode)

Go here for the YouTube version and to comment.

You'll never stop the "fundamentalist" atheists from attacking your religion but you can practice what you preach and "do unto others" to the rest of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be critical. Be nice.

Click Here for All Your Favorite Bookmarks and Shares!!

Bookmark and Share