Sunday, March 1, 2009

The Secret to Losing Weight is Finally Here

Save your money on those fancy schmancy diets. Here is a snippet to a post by Steven Novella about a new study:

As a scientific skeptic I am careful to emphasize that my current position on any scientific question is tentatively based on available evidence. If new data comes in that warrants a change in my position, I will happily change it...

...In this case a new study published in the New England Journal of Medicine comparing various weight loss diets supports my contention that weight loss is all about calories in vs calories out.

I encourage you to read Dr. Novella's full article here: NeuroLogica Blog » Want To Lose Weight? Reduce Calories.

Here is a snippet from the actual report:

Most of the weight loss occurred in the first 6 months. Changes from baseline differed among the diet groups by less than 0.5 kg of body weight and 0.5 cm of waist circumference (Figure 2). After 12 months, all groups, on average, slowly regained body weight.

I am anxiously awaiting an analysis of this study at JunkfoodScience.com She's been pretty consistent in saying that we generally have a pre-set weight and can only hope to lose a few pounds. Almost everyone who loses huge amounts of weight, gains it back within a year or two. Here is a link to part 1 of her Obesity Paradox. It's an interesting series about how large people are not necessarily less healthy than thin people.

Prejudice is wrong, so think about this next time you are making fun of fat people.

Personally, I'm saving my fat just in case I get selected for the TV show Survivor or if I get selected by cancer someday. My extra weight will come in handy with the chemotherapy/radiation diet I've heard so much about.

*As always: be skeptical, critically think, do your own research and don't rely on sound bites and news headlines for your information.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be critical. Be nice.

Click Here for All Your Favorite Bookmarks and Shares!!

Bookmark and Share