Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Sun Halo Over Marsden


Sun Halo Over Marsden
Originally uploaded by Mully410

Here is a pretty picture that's a teaching moment (click pic to embiggen): I took this shot today out at my favorite spot. This halo didn't show up immediately so I'm glad I waited around. I'm also glad I waited around because I saw 3 trumpeter swans land on the ice. They were surprisingly graceful about it. I wonder if they are some of the same swans I watched grow up last summer. The eastern bluebirds are back and I got some pictures of one last weekend.

Here is a snippet about halos from Wikipeida:

A 22° halo is a rather frequently appearing halo, an optical phenomenon forming a circle 22° around the sun, or occasionally the Moon. It forms as sunlight is refracted in hexagonal ice crystals suspended in the atmosphere.
Go here for the complete details.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be critical. Be nice.

Click Here for All Your Favorite Bookmarks and Shares!!

Bookmark and Share