Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Why Evolution is True - Just in Time

I had a discussion with a friend just yesterday about evolution vs. creation. If you've read my blog, you already know I'm big on science. I know the differences between hypothesis, scientific theory, faith and woo. Creation belief is simply not science.

This was the first time I encountered someone, in person, who was very well versed in the creation as science arguments. I've been reading about these arguments for long time. It didn't take long for me to figure out I was out matched. This conversation eventually ended with me saying "I'm not an evolutionary biologist so I'll have to get back to you on that."

Ironically or coincidentally or psychically, I came across this book review by my Facebook friend, favoritest astronomer and President, Phil Plait. Here is a snippet:

That's why I loved the book Why Evolution is True by biologist Jerry Coyne. This is a clear, easy-to-understand work that shows you - with no compromising and no backing down - that evolution has occurred, the evidence is overwhelming, and that no other explanation fro what we see around us makes sense. He goes through many, many arguments about this: how we do see adaptation to changing environments, how the DNA records support the change in the genome of life with time and environment, how fossils support evolutionary change.

Moreover, he shows that the scientific theory of evolution by natural (and in some cases, sexual) selection makes clear predictions which are borne out by observations. And on top of that he shows why these conclusions make no sense at all if you think there is some Creator that made us the way we are out of thin air (or dust, I suppose).

Go here for the full post and some links: Why Evolution is True

I immediately went to Amazon and ordered it. I also ordered The Blind Watchmaker: Why the Evidence of Evolution Reveals a Universe without Design. Many of my Minneapolis Skeptic friends recommended this book.

I have no illusions that I'll be able to change my friends mind. I don't plan to ammo up just to attack his position. My goal is to learn more and hopefully understand better how he thinks like he does.

Most of my readers know this, but just in case you don't. I have given equal time to the "other side" of this debate. The cold hard truth is there aren't two sides. The theory of evolution does not predict or explain creation. See big bang theory for that. And by the way, I have it on good authority (Facebook quiz) that my biblical knowledge is that of a Bible Scholar.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be critical. Be nice.

Click Here for All Your Favorite Bookmarks and Shares!!

Bookmark and Share