Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Minnesota Astronomical Society Star Party at Onan August 29

Telescopes (2)

I'm planning on attending the next public star party hosted by the Minnesota Astronomical Society. It's at the fine Onan Observatory at Baylor Region Park near Norwood-Young America on August 29th.

This is technically an all weather event. If it's cloudy, they have videos and presentations available. I will call their hot-line before I go to make sure it's clear. I don't want to drive the 50-60 miles unless I can see stuff through telescopes.

Last time I went, I had a spectacular time.

Here is what they got:
  • A computer controlled Meade 16" Schmidt-Cassegrain sitting atop a massive concrete pier
  • Two state-of-the-art systems -- one primarily for visual observing, the other intended for video-enabled observing. Each system has multiple refracting and reflecting telescopes, each selected with a specific purpose in mind and installed atop computer-controlled Paramount ME mounts
  • Obsession Dobonsian-style reflecting telescope with a 20" primary mirror
  • Standalone and mounted solar viewing telescopes equipped with h-alpha filters
  • 15x80 binoculars on a portable parallelogram mount
  • And more!
This time I will make sure to bring a few things I forgot on my last trip: binoculars, lawn chair, some snacks and drinks and an extra fleece layer.

Go here for MAS' complete events calendar.

Please let me know if you want to join me for this mini-expedition. If many want to go, perhaps we can rent a van or a bus.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be critical. Be nice.

Click Here for All Your Favorite Bookmarks and Shares!!

Bookmark and Share