Wednesday, September 2, 2009

I See Hummingbirds - Ruby-Throated Hummingbirds


Hummingblur (6)
Originally uploaded by Mully410

My parents maintain a hummingbird feeder at their house. This past weekend I spent some time with them helping with chores and eating their food. Throughout the day the hummingbirds were pretty much swarming the feeder.

2 Hummingbirds

For most of the day, one of the hummingbirds got "lost" or something in the garage. He/She spent all of about 6 hours constantly buzzing around the ceiling. We tried a number of strategies to get it out but it just wouldn't leave. Last time this happened, my mom and dad just waited around until the bird got tired. They found it all tuckered out and carefully picked it up and stuck it's beak in some sugar water. We decided that this strategy would be our best bet this time.

Once all the chores were done, we checked out the garage. Sure enough, Mr/Mrs/Miss hummingbird had tuckered out a bit. It was resting by the window. Dad carefully approached the bird and it started flying around. He gently cupped his hands and scooped up the tiny bird. Mom got the sugar water solution ready and dad stuck it's beak into the concoction.

Tired Hummingbird

The little bugger frantically drank up for a few seconds, managed to escape from my dad and flew off. Immediately, another bird joined him in a tree. I can only imagine how that conversation went: "Where have you been, dumbass?" "I don't know but it was weird. The guy that fills our feeder grabbed me and stuffed my beak into sugary water, so I flew off."


Tired Hummingbird (3)


We think this is the lost hummingbird mostly because it was the only one that sat for more than a few seconds on the feeder.

I'm almost certain these are all Ruby-Throated Hummingbirds. The females and juveniles do not have a ruby throat patch.

Go HERE for the full set of hummingbird photos I took.

6 comments:

  1. I have a vine outside my room, planted to climb a trellis outside the window, where my hummingbird visits everyday..nice to honor the bird...

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Ben: Thanks for reading my blog and thanks for the comments. What kind of vine do you have that attracts hummingbirds? Do you have any pics posted anywhere?

    ReplyDelete
  3. A hummingbird flew into our garage yesterday and was circling the light for a while. I assume he flew in there because the pull cord for the overhead door is red like the feeder, then he attempted to leave by going up not out. Turning the light off helped him see where the sunlight was, but maybe we could have set a red feeder close to the exit to coax him down.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Michelle: Thanks for the story. I'm glad it made it out of your garage.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've always wanted to hold a hummingbird in my hand. What kind of feeder do you use? It looks like one of those new Perky-Pet Top Fill hummingbird feeders.
    Is it this one?
    http://www.birdfeeders.com/store/hummingbird-feeders/121tf

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Sarah: I'm not sure what brand of feeder my dad uses. There are pictures of it within the flickr set.

    ReplyDelete

Be critical. Be nice.

Click Here for All Your Favorite Bookmarks and Shares!!

Bookmark and Share