Originally uploaded by Mully410
I try to do my part in running a green household. I have a super efficient washing machine, furnace and water heater. This has saved me some nice money over the years. I've even replaced most of my old light bulbs with compact fluorescent.
Today, while I was moving my clean cloths from the washer to the dryer, I smelled something burning. There was smoke coming from my compact fluorescent bulb. I quickly turned off the switch. It stopped smoldering after about a minute so I uninstalled it. Here is the result (click on the pic to go to the Flickr page and then "all sizes" to get a close-up. It looks like it burned right through the ceramic like housing. Luckily I was home and noticed it right away. It only left a nasty burnt plasticy smell throughout the house. No telling what would have happened if wasn't around to notice it.
Fascinating. I wonder how many of these do this. I bought the GE brand, not some knock-off cheapo brand, because I felt safer going with a well known company. When an energy inefficient incandescent burns out, the circuit is simply broken and things don't start on fire. Now I'm wondering if the risk is worth the reward in having these new energy friendly bulbs...not to mention that they are toxic and can't go into the normal garbage can.
I plan to contact GE about this and will likely send it in to them. Stay tuned.
Here are the specs of the bulb:
Here is the caution label and UL listing: