Saturday, September 25, 2010

Why Demure Amur Won People's Choice

Yellow Ribbon Amur DSC_2511

This photo, Demure Amur, received the People's Choice Award at the Salon 300 - Minnesota State Fair Overflow 2010 show. That means it received more votes by the public than any of the 300+ other works at the show. Here is the story of the my journey from the Minnesota Zoo to award winning photographer.

One of my fellow members of the Twin Cities Photography Group suggested a better crop than my original so I had an 8x10 of this portrait printed, matted and framed for the 2010 Art-A-Whirl and the Gallery of Giving shows. During those shows, another member suggested it would look super cool on metallic paper so I had a 16x20 printed, matted and framed and entered it into the MN State Fair Fine Arts competition. The fair promptly rejected it but I guess that wasn't a big deal given the reviews that show got this year. The first 450 artists who were rejected by the fair and picked up a form got the opportunity to show their rejects at the Hopkins Center for the Arts Salon 300.

The Salon 300 - Minnesota State Fair Overflow 2010 show is held during the Minnesota State Fair. There were all kinds of art in this show including everything from wood working, sculpture, painting and crafts. However, the vast majority of works seemed to photography.

Once I dropped it off at that show, I engage my social media machine and bugged everyone to get out and vote.

So, thank you Todd and Shayne for the technical and creative assistance. Thank you Twin Cities Photography Group for inspiration and encouragement. Thank you to all my friends and family for support and thank you to everyone who voted especially my mom and dad for bringing all their friends!

My Leopard DSC07574 at the Salon 300 show

HopkinsCFTA People's Choice screenshot of the HCA web page

Here are some technical details of the original photo:
Taken on 2-6-2010 at 12:07pm CST
Nikon D5000 with Nikkor 70-300mm f4.5/5.6 IF-ED AF-S VR Zoom
1/200 sec
f/5.6
ISO 1600
+1 EV
300mm

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be critical. Be nice.

Click Here for All Your Favorite Bookmarks and Shares!!

Bookmark and Share