Saturday, March 5, 2011

I visited the Minnesota Zoo

Smile DSC_3556
Smile DSC_3556
by Mully410 * Images


After much debate with myself, I picked up a used Nikkor 300mm F4 AF-ED lens today. This is a really old lens and it's a bit beat up on the outside. It's a fixed focal length...no zooming. It's second fixed focal length (aka...prime) lens in my bag. The first one was the Nikkor 35mm F1.8...which is awesome, by the way. It's well known in the photography community that prime (non-zoom) lens are sharper and produce higher quality images. Naturally, I was skeptical.

After spending a few hours at the Minnesota Zoo today, I am convinced. This lens is awesome. I must have grabbed the focus ring in a futile attempt to zoom about a hundred times but I'll get used to it. This lens is built like tank. All metal and way heavier than all my other lenses combined so I used my monopod. Since this 300mm an F4 it gives me an extra stop that my Nikkor 70-300 doesn't have. That means higher shutters and lower ISO in lower light situations. I hope to find a teleconverter that will work with it so I can get out to an equivalent 630mm for some closer otter photos at Lake Marsden.

Here is a slideshow of my zoo trip. You be the judge:



(click the little arrows to the lower right to embiggen to full screen)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be critical. Be nice.

Click Here for All Your Favorite Bookmarks and Shares!!

Bookmark and Share