Wednesday, June 22, 2011

How I Shot Hummingbirds at my Feeder

I spent this gloomy rainy day in my kitchen learning and practicing hummingbird photography. I rented an AF-S Nikkor 500mm VR G from lensrentals.com and set it up on a tripod. I took my small SB-400 speedlight, homemade snoot and SB-28 cable and mounted it on an old cheap tripod which I placed outside on the deck. Since the 500's minimum focus distance is about 12 feet, I had to set it up inside the kitchen and shot the birds through the open patio door.

This shot is a female ruby-throated hummingbird. She was the most frequent visitor today. This shot was at 1/125 sec, f/5.6, ISO 450, EV -2/3.

Here is the male that I only got to shoot twice all afternoon.

Hummingbird DSC_6629
1/250 sec, f/4, ISO400, -2/3 EV

Here is my fav:

Hummingbird DSC_6595

No flash, 1/640 sec, f/5.6, ISO 4000

Here is the setup. (I had a purple plastic bag over the speedlight.)

Hummingbird Setup DSC_1509



Hummingbird Setup DSC_1517

I learned a lot about hummingbird photography here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be critical. Be nice.

Click Here for All Your Favorite Bookmarks and Shares!!

Bookmark and Share