Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Fireworks 2011

Fireworks DSC_0137 by Mully410 * Images
Fireworks DSC_0137, a photo by Mully410 * Images on Flickr.
For the third year a row, I setup on a beach on Turtle Lake in Shoreview Minnesota for the fireworks. The rich people on the lake didn't disappoint.

This year was easier in one way. I wanted the moon in my shots so I didn't have to re-compose chasing fireworks all around the lake. Fortunately, two docks under the moon were lighting off the big ones.

I used the Nikon D7000 and my Nikkor 70-300mm VR lens. I found I had to crop all my shots last year when I used the 18-55mm.  All these shots are taken in Aperture Priority at f/11, ISO 100, on a tripod, with a remote cord, mirror lockup and -2 stop EV (and lots of DEET). The camera figured out how to expose the perfect shot. It usually picked a shutter speed of 3-8 seconds depending on how bright the bursts were during the shot. I used in-camera noise reduction. These photos needed very little post-processing. Some were cropped, most weren't. I applied some d-lighting to some of the bursts and a little sharpening here and there with Capture NX2 (I don't own Photoshop). Overall, I spend less than 2 minutes in the digital darkroom for any given shot.

Here is a slide show. It will look best in full screen mode...click the four little arrow like box thingy to the lower right of the frame.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be critical. Be nice.

Click Here for All Your Favorite Bookmarks and Shares!!

Bookmark and Share