Monday, January 9, 2012

Mully410 Published on the BBC - Royal Institute Christmas Lecture 2011 - Meet Your Brain

Sad Face (Moon Jupiter and Venus)
I made this photo back on December 1, 2008 when the Moon, Jupiter and Venus were in close conjunction.  I flipped the image 180 degrees so that it looked like a sad face.  The reason you see these two planets and the moon as a sad face is a phenomenon called Pareidolia

The reason I bring up this photo today is that I finally got confirmation that it was broadcast on BBC Channel 4 last December.   A few months ago, a UK production company, Windfall Films, contacted me about this photo they saw on Flickr.  They were looking for images for the Royal Institute's Christmas Lecture Series.   From their website: 

The Royal Institution of Great Britain - or "the Ri" - is an independent charity dedicated to connecting people with the world of science. We're about discovery, innovation, inspiration and imagination.

Michael Faraday gave the first Christmas Lecture for the Royal Institute in 1825.  This year's lecture was all about your brain.  There are three programs, each about an hour long.  My photo appears during the third program about 12 minute in while the host, Bruce Hood, talks about how our brains are biased to recognize faces.  It's only up for about 3 seconds but as a science fan and skeptic, I'm super excited to be apart of this long running super cool lecture series. 

These lectures are targeted towards children so I though they might be pretty basic and boring.  It turns out they are basic but fun and interesting too!  Bruce does lots of experiments and demonstrations with the audience.  It's very entertaining.  I encourage you to take some time and watch it to learn more about your brain.  Your kids might like it too. 

Here is a link to the Royal Institute's Christmas Lecture 2011 - Meet Your Brain

If you just want to see my photo along with a bunch of other pareidolia, go to the third part, Are You Thinking What I'm Thinking and skip ahead to about 10-11 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be critical. Be nice.

Click Here for All Your Favorite Bookmarks and Shares!!

Bookmark and Share